For this post, I have put together a collection of the best home fire extinguishers currently available.
A fire extinguisher can be your first line of defense in case of a fire in your home. In order to minimize damage or injury, the first step is having the right fire extinguisher on hand.
The following home fire extinguishers use the latest innovative components to meet your needs and help to keep you and your family safe.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Home Fire Extinguishers
1. Kidde Pro 210 Fire Extinguisher
- The Kidde Pro 210 is suitable for use on Class A (trash, wood, and paper), Class B (liquids and gases), and Class C (energized electrical equipment) fires.
- Ideal for protecting your home as well as low-hazard occupancies such as offices, churches, assembly halls, classrooms, and hotel guest areas.
- This rechargeable unit contains four pounds of a multipurpose monoammonium phosphate dry chemical extinguishing agent.
- It has a discharge time of 13 to 15 seconds, a discharge range of 10 to 15 feet, and an operating pressure of 100 PSI.
- The seamless aluminum cylinder is powder coated for corrosion protection, and it measures 4.5 inches in diameter and 15.7 inches tall.
2. First Alert Rechargable Fire Extinguisher
- Multipurpose fire extinguisher features U. L. 1-A 10-B:C rated for wood, paper, trash and plastics fires.
- Fights gasoline and oil fires as well as electrical equipment fires.
- Pressure gauge ensures the extinguisher is ready to use in an emergency with SureGrip Trigger.
- Meets U.S. Coast Guard standards for marine use.
3. Kidde FA110 Fire Extinguisher
- This Kidde Fire Extinguisher is durable and easy to use.
- The fire extinguisher is warranted for six years, and its metal pressure gauge helps ensure that the fire extinguisher is charged and ready for use.
- This extinguisher is durable and corrosion resistant, featuring a rust- and impact-resistant nylon handle and a light-but -durable aluminum cylinder.
- The sure-grip handle and operating lever make the extinguisher less likely to slip from wet or oily hands.
- Easier to operate for people with arthritis or weakness of the fingers.
4. Amerex B500 Fire Extinguisher
- The Amerex Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher.
- Stored pressure dry chemical fire extinguishers for use on ordinary combustibles, flammable liquids and gases and energized electrical equipment.
- Features all metal valves and includes wall mount brackets.
- ABC Dry Chemical, Class A:B:C Extinguisher
- For use on Class A (ordinary combustibles), Class B (Flammable liquid) spills or Fires involving live electrical equipment (Class C)
- 14 sec. discharge time.
- All metal valve construction, aluminum valve.
5. Kidde 466112 Fire Extinguisher
- Multipurpose protection: fights class A, B, and C fires.
- UL Rated 3-A:40-B:C.
- Easy to read: gauge tells you when fire extinguisher is charged and ready for use.
- Lightweight: durable corrosion resistant aluminum cylinder.
- Clear instruction label: shows the steps required to operate the extinguisher.
- Quick and powerful: discharge time of 13 to 15 seconds.
- Discharge range of 12 to 18 feet, and an operating pressure of 195 psi.
- Multipurpose dry chemical: suitable for use on most common fires.
6. First Alert AF400-2 Fire Extinguisher
- Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray has been tested to the qualified performance requirements of UL 711, UL 711A and KOFEIC 0108 by an independent Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
- Four times greater than 2-B:C or 5-B:C kitchen fire extinguisher; minimum of approximately 32 seconds vs. approximately eight seconds.
- Three times wider surface area; typical actuator-14 in sq. vs. the Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray actuator-48 in sq.
- Tundra is a trademark of BRK Brands, Inc.
- Safe storage between 32-107° F
- Works on household fires including those involving paper, fabric, wood, cooking oils, electrical appliances and equipment.
7. Kidde 466180 Pro 5 Fire Extinguisher
- Built to last, the Pro 5 features a sturdy, aluminum cylinder with a durable, epoxy paint finish in red, as well as an impact-resistant, long-lasting, nickel-chrome-plated brass valve with stainless steel handle and lever.
- Responsive and easy to use, the Pro 5 CD Fire Extinguisher takes care of fires quickly and easily.
- This carbon dioxide extinguisher contains an average of 5 pounds of fire extinguishing agent.
- Operates at 850 psi and is designed to handle Class B and Class C fires.
- A clear instruction label on the front of the extinguisher guides you through the steps of operation.
- Environmentally safe, the Pro 5 CD uses a carbon dioxide (CO2) extinguishing agent, which dissipates quickly, leaving no residue behind.
- The CO2 won't contaminate valuable materials, or electronics, so it's safe to use in home offices and more.
8. Kidde 466204 Pro 10 Fire Extinguisher
- Kidde Pro 10 MP Fire Extinguisher is useful against Class A (trash, wood, and paper), Class B (liquids and gases), and Class C (energized electrical equipment) fires, the Kidde Pro 10 MP fire extinguisher makes for an appropriate saftey measure against common fire hazards.
- Fitted with a pressure gauge, providing at-a-glance status on the capacity level of available fire deterrent.
- Manufactured from impact-resistant steel and the valve assembly is all metal.
- Features clear instruction labels, showing the steps required to operate the fire extinguisher, as well as an easy-to-pull safety pin.
- The impact-resistant metal valve, handle, and lever, as well as the powder coated cylinder for corrosion protection allow for long-lasting durability.
- UL-approved wall hanger will ensure easy placement in any part of the office or building.
9. AFO Fire Ball Fire Extinguisher
Ideal for use in your home or business the AFO Fire Extinguisher Ball is a fire suppressant packaged in a compact and lightweight ball.
Self-detonates in 3 to 5 seconds when it comes into contact with fire and disperses non-toxic chemicals.
Extinguishes the flames in an area with a radius ranging between 86 to 107 square feet.
Usable for Class A, B and C Fires Home or Business. The AFO Fire Extinguisher Ball is suitable for use on normal combustibles like wood, paper, and flammable liquids (Class A, B and C)
Ideal fire safety product for your kitchen, garage, car, or boat, when grilling or camping, and ideal for restaurants, offices, auto shops, and manufacturing facilities too.
Eco Friendly Environmentally friendly, nontoxic and safe around people and pets, made with SGS approved ABC Class Dry Powder.
How It Works The AFO Fire Extinguisher Ball works in two different ways:
1. If you happen to be near the fire when it starts, no need to get close to the fire just toss or roll the Fire Extinguisher Ball into /onto the fire. When the activation strip is exposed to flames it will actuate within 3-10 seconds emitting a high pitched alarm (90-120dBA, within safety standards) and disperse a non-toxic chemical to extinguish the fire in an area with a radius ranging between 86 to 107 square feet.
2. Or the AFO Fire Extinguisher Ball can be placed in a fire prone area and using the specially-designed stand that comes with each unit the AFO Fire Extinguisher Ball will self-detonate when it comes into contact with fire even if no one is around; you can’t do that with a fire extinguisher. SGS Testing No. GZIN1610047617PS
10. First Alert 2.5 Pound Fire Extinguisher
- Commercial-Grade Metal Valve and Trigger.
- U.S. Coast Guard approved.
- Metal pull pin with safety seal to deter accidental discharge.
- Easy-to-read pressure gauge.
- Bracket with strap for easy mounting.
I hope this list of the best home fire extinguishers was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C