The 10 Best Furnace Filters
For this post, I have put together a collection of the best furnace filters currently available.
It's no secret that today's tightly-built homes trap dust, allergens and many more potentially hazardous contaminates. It's also none too surprising that poor indoor air quality ranks among the top five environmental risks to public health.
Be certain to measure the filters you are replacing or your filter boot to make sure it's an exact match. The dimensions of the system’s filter compartment generally does not impact efficiency.
The thickness of a filter does, however, impact its efficiency and ability to remove contaminants. There are two standard filter thicknesses, 1" and 4". If your system uses a 1” filter, a 4” filter will not be able to fit the existing cabinet.
Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) is a standard that rates the overall effectiveness of air filters. A high MERV rating means a finer filter, which removes more airborne contaminants and dust particles.
The typical residential home air system can remove airborne contaminants with a filter rated between MERV 6-13. Both 1” and 4” filters are available with a range of MERV ratings.
The Micro-particle Performance Rating is a system developed by 3M that ranges from MPR 300-1900. It rates the manufacturer’s filters and their ability to capture airborne particles smaller than 1 micron.
Replace your furnace filters regularly to improve indoor air quality while lowering your energy bill and keeping your home clean.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Furnace Filters.
1. AIRx Health 1" MERV 13 Furnace Filters
- Highest rated residential use: MERV 13
- Turn your air conditioning and heating system into a whole house air cleaner, dramatically reducing respiratory irritants, smog, bacteria, viruses, and mold throughout your home.
- Trap and lock ultrafine particles that effect your health, protecting your entire home.
- Make your home a healthier haven and shelter your loved ones from air contaminants.
- Health filters not only protect you from small particles like smog, bacteria, viruses, and respiratory irritants, but they also protect against allergens, dust, and debris.
- Protect your heating and air conditioning equipment from clogging with dust, affording optimal operating efficiency, better airflow and reduced energy and maintenance costs.
- More pleats means better airflow and reduced energy costs as well as better particle holding capabilities.
2. Honeywell FC100A1037 Ultra Efficiency 4" Furnace Filters
- MERV of 10 (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value)
- Many different sizes to fit Honeywell and competitive brand media air cleaners.
- Fractional efficiency: E1=25%, E2=62%, E3=85%,
- Static pressure drop: 0.23 at 500 FPM (in w.c.).
- Used with Honeywell 20X25, 25X20, 25X22 F100 and F200 Media Air Cleaners, SpaceGard 2200
3. Nordic Pure 4" Furnace Filters
- MERV 12 filter media to help reduce pollen, pet dander, dust, mold and more.
- Actual Size: 19 7/8 x 24 7/8 x 4 3/8.
- Nordic Pure brand replacements for Honeywell units.
- Replacements for Honeywell 203720, FC35A1027, FC100A1037 and FC200E1037.
4. FilterBuy 1" Furnace Filters
- MERV rating of 8
- Afb silver: an advanced filter that offers increased filtration of dust mites and other allergens
- Removes lint & dust, dust mite debris, pollen and mold spores.
- Designed to last 3 months.
5. AIRx ALLERGY 1" Furnace Filters
- MERV 11
- 16 x 20 x 1 premium pleated furnace filter
- Traps mold, pet dander, smoke particles, pollen and dust mite debris for allergen protection.
- More pleats than most retail air filters.
- Energy efficient and captures particles.
- Made in U.S.A.
6. Filtrete Micro Allergen 4" Furnace Filters
- Purifies air by capturing a high percentage of household air particles, including those at 0.3 micron which are most harmful to your lungs
- Filtrete Allergen Defense air filters turn your central heating and cooling system into a whole house air cleaner.
- Featuring electro-static technology, these filters reduce airborne allergens such as household dust, lint, dust-mite debris, mold spores, pollen, pet dander and smog.
- For best results, change your filter every 6 to 12 months.
- 4" and 5 " filters help maintain airflow in heating and cooling systems, which helps prevent stress on the system and reduces the amount of energy needed to reach desired indoor air temperatures.
- Replaces Honeywell, TrionAirBear, Bryant , Carrier(R) and Lennox (R) brand filters.
- Can replace 16 x 25 x 5 inch filters with the same actual size.
- Designed with Filtrete Brand 3-in-1 technology from 3M to pull in and trap unwanted air particles while letting clean air flow through.
- Microparticle Performance Rating 1000
7. X6673 Lennox 4" Furnace Filters
- MERV 11
- Factory original BMAC Healthy Climate Media Electrostatically charged disposable media.
- Actual Dimensions 19-3/4" X 24-3/4" X 4-3/8"
- Captures dust mites, pollen, mold spores, pet dander and other contaminants down to 0.3 microns.
- Synthetic media offers large surface area for maximum dirt holding capacities with minimum air resistance.
- Class 2 Replace every 6 months under normal use .
8. Filtrete Clean Living 1" Furnace Filters
- Electrostatically charged fibers attracts and capture large airborne allergens like pollen, household dust and lint.
- Ideal for high-velocity heating and cooling systems.
- 316 MPR Performance Rating (MERV 6).
- Lasts up to 3 months.
- Outperforms fiberglass, washable and non-electrostatic pleated 1 inch filters.
9. Electrostatic Washable 1" Furnace Filter
- Washable with Enhanced HVAC Effectiveness – Crafted to help improve your home’s ventilation efficiency, proper air flow can help reduce air flow resistance for less HVAC stress.
- Premium Craftsmanship – Each HVAC air filter is crafted with four layers of high-grade aluminum and two layers of electrostatic media for superior reliability.
- Quick & Easy Installation – Each electrostatic air purifier slides into your HVAC system effortlessly in seconds, making it simple to change out your old filters.
- American Made – Trophy Filter electrostatic air conditioner filters are crafted right here in the United States, so you can trust their durability and long-lasting quality.
10. FilterBuy Allergen 1" Furnace Filters
- The Odor Eliminator filter carries a MERV 8 rating, comparable to MPR 300.
- Removes odors from smoke, pets, cooking, and more, as well as capture 90% of airborne particles, including dust, debris, lint, pollen, and pet dander.
- Ideal for standard residential and commercial use,
- Filters should be replaced every 90 days, more often if you have pets, children, or allergy-sufferers at home.
- With 12 pleats per foot.
- Greater surface area to trap more airborne particles and withstand exposure to moisture and dampness.
- Designed to last 3 months.
I hope this list of the best furnace filters was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C