For this post, I have put together a collection of the best circular saws currently available.
In woodworking the term circular saw is most commonly used to refer to a hand-held, electric circular saw designed for cutting wood, but may be used for cutting other materials with different blades. "Skil Saw" has become a generic trademark for conventional hand-held circular saws.
Circular saws can be either left or right-handed, depending on the side of the blade where the motor sits. A left-handed saw is typically easier to use if held in the right hand, and contrariwise for the right-handed saw, because the user does not need to lean across the saw to see the cutting line.
Circular saw blades are specially designed for each particular material they are intended to cut. When cutting wood the saws are specifically designed for making rip-cuts, cross-cuts, or a combination of both.
Blades for cutting wood are almost universally tungsten carbide tipped (TCT), but high speed steel (HSS) blades are also available. The saw base can be adjusted for depth of cut and can tilt up to 45° and sometimes 50° in relation to the blade. Adjusting the depth of cut helps minimize kickback. Different diameter blades are matched to each saw and are available ranging from 14 centimetres (5.5 in) to 61 centimetres (24 in).
The following circular saws use the latest innovative components to meet your needs and help to ensure you do your best work.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Circular Saws.
1. DEWALT DCS391B 20-Volt 6.5" Circular Saw
The DEWALT DCS391B 20V MAX 6-1/2" Circular Saw features a powerful 460 MWO, 5250 RPM motor that delivers power and speed to make the most demanding cuts with ease.
- A high strength and lightweight magnesium shoe provides jobsite durability for long-term cut accuracy.
- Optimized rubber overmolded comfort grip delivers optimal balance and control.
- 0 Degree - 50 Degree bevel capacity allows for aggressive bevel cuts for a multitude of applications.
- 6-1/2" carbide tipped blade for cutting 2x material at 90 and 45 Degrees.
- Battery sold separately.
2. Milwaukee 2731-20 7.5" Circular Saw
The M18 FUEL 7-1/4 in. Circular Saw Cuts Faster and Weighs up to 40% less than corded saws while delivering up to 300 cuts per charge.
- Optimized performance and overload protection by using total system communication between tool, battery, and charger.
- REDLITHIUM XC5.0 Battery Technology provides up to 300 cuts per charge with superior pack construction and electronics.
- Features an LED light to increase accuracy in low light situations.
- Rafter hook for easy storage in-between cuts.
- Features a magnesium shoe as well as upper and lower guards to reduce tool weight while not sacrificing durability.
3. Makita XSR01PT 18V Circular Saw Kit
Makita 18V X2 means freedom from the cord, even for demanding applications like cutting sheet and dimensional lumber that traditionally called for a corded saw.
- Powered by two 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries for maximum performance.
- Electronically-controlled BL Brushless motor that matches torque and RPM to the application.
- The XSR01PT has a long list of features for efficient cutting without the cord. Users of leading corded saws will appreciate the blade-left rear-handle design.
- The electronically-controlled brushless motor delivers a full 5,100 RPM for efficient cutting.
- In internal testing, the XSR01PT made up to 558 cross-cuts per charge in 2x4 SPF lumber using two fully-charged 5.0Ah batteries.
- Large 2-9/16” cutting capacity at 90 degrees that will cut 3X lumber in a single pass, and an electric brake for maximum productivity.
- Die-cast magnesium base and blade guard with die-cast aluminum blade cover and motor housing, which combines durability with less weight (only 12.4 lbs. with batteries).
Don't forget the blades.
4. SKIL 5280-01 7.25" Circular Saw
For the more experienced user who needs a powerful circular saw with advanced features, the SKIL 5280 7-1/4 inch circular saw is the saw for the job.
- 15-Amp motor has the power and performance you need to quickly cut lumber and sheet goods for a room addition, deck and more.
- Single-beam laser guides cuts with increased accuracy.
- Integrated dust blower keeps the line of cut sawdust free.
- 51 degree bevel, with positive stop at 45 degrees, gives a variety of cut options.
- Blade changes are easier with spindle lock and on-tool wrench.
5. PORTER-CABLE PCE300 7.25" Circular Saw
The PORTER-CABLE PCE300 15 amp heavy duty steel shoe Circular saw features a 15 amp motor, able to run up to 5,500 RPM to provide power and speed through all types of applications.
- Steel shoe, along with metal upper and lower guards that provide added durability.
- Spindle lock and depth adjustment.
- 45 degree max bevel adjust to provide ease of use.
- An aux handle provides comfort and clear line of sight.
- Only 9.5 lbs making it convenient to use.
6. Ryobi P506 One+ 18V 5.5" Circular Saw
The Ryobi P506 is a powerful piece of machinery that combines portability, accuracy, and power.
- Rips through most wood at 4,600 revolutions per minute.
- Rubberized overgrip that lets you hold this in most weather conditions.
- Extra handle that lets you guide the saw smoothly.
- Laser guide that projects a red beam in front of the tool that shows you where you’re about to cut.
- Fully adjustable, from 0 to 50 degrees and your depth up to 1-9/16 inches.
- Part of the One+ collection, so there is a huge collection of batteries.
7. WORX WORXSAW 4.5" Compact Circular Saw
The 4-1/2" WORXSAW Compact Circular Saw is powerful, portable and perfect for DIY projects around the house and your workshop.
- Cut 2x4's in a single pass with an easily maneuverable compact saw that weighs 50% less than a traditional 7-1/4" circular saw.
- The WORXSAW is substantial enough to cut through nominal 2" lumber, yet light enough for the DIY'er to easily and comfortably maneuver.
- Compact size for excellent maneuverability and portability.
- Easy-set depth gauge lever & 0-45° bevel settings for quick adjustments.
- Exceptional depth-of-cut for cutting up to 2" stock lumber.
- Left-sided blade design for great cut-line visibility.
8. Makita 5007F 7.25" Circular Saw
The 5007F has a powerful 15.0 AMP motor and a high power-to-weight ratio, with all ball bearing construction and a heavy gauge aluminum wraparound base engineered for improved durability and straighter cuts.
- Large cutting capacity (2-3/8” at 90°, 1-3/4” at 45°) with a maximum bevel capacity of 0°-45° for the most common angles.
- Ease-of-use features including large and easy-to-read markings on the depth and bevel scales.
- Blade changes are more convenient with a flat motor housing design for increased stability when changing blades, with a conveniently located shaft lock for easy blade replacement.
- Visibility is improved with two built-in LED lights and a built-in dust blower engineered to clear the line of cut.
- Includes a Makita 7-1/4” 24T General Contractor Framing Blade for faster, cleaner cuts.
9. SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 7.25" Circular Saw
Designed with the framer in mind the SPT77WML-01, weighs only 11.6 lbs.
- All-magnesium saw has the legendary SKILSAW Worm Drive gearing for power and torque through difficult cuts.
- 15 amp dual-field motor powers through and stays cool.
- The 7-1/4 inch saw has a max cutting capacity of 2-3/8 inch at 90° with a maximum 53° bevel capacity featuring positive stop at 0° and 45°.
- Ideal for applications such as framing, decking, siding and ceilings.
- Included with the SPT77WML-01 is an on-tool multi-function wrench for Included is a 24-tooth carbide-tipped SKILSAW blade.
- Cut Ready depth adjustment level for easy and quick adjustments for ¼ ply, ½ ply, ¾ ply and 2x material.
- Anti-snag lowers guard protects the blade when not in use and won’t snag while cutting thinner materials.
10. Hitachi C18DGLP4 18V 6.5" Circular Saw
- Capable of generating a no-load speed of 4,500 RPM from its lightweight and compact body.
- Innovative design and soft grip handle prevent fatigue, while the left side blade position and built-in LED spotlight increase visibility of the cut line.
- Features a 50° bevel angle for accuracy, an electric brake for precision and safety.
- Blade guard for added safety, and a fan cooled motor for increased run time.
- Soft grip handle for improved comfort and less fatigue.
- Built-in LED spotlight for superior visibility of the cut line.
- 50° Bevel angle adjusts to meet various applications.
- Lightweight at 6.2 lbs for easy maneuverability.
- Compatible with all Hitachi's 18 V lithium ion slide-type batteries (sold separately).
I hope this list of the best circular saws was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C