The 10 Best Drill Bits
For this post, I have put together a collection of the best drill bits currently available.
Drill Bit Materials:
Many different materials are used for or on drill bits, depending on the required application. Hard materials, such as carbides, are much more brittle than steel, and are far more subject to breaking, particularly if the drill is not held at a very constant angle to the workpiece; e.g., when hand-held.
- Soft low-carbon steel bits are inexpensive, but do not hold an edge well and require frequent sharpening. They are used only for drilling wood; even working with hardwoods rather than softwoods can noticeably shorten their lifespan.
- High-carbon steel bits are more durable than low-carbon steel bits due to the properties conferred by hardening and tempering the material. If they are overheated (e.g., by frictional heating while drilling) they lose their temper, resulting in a soft cutting edge. These bits can be used on wood or metal.
- High-speed steel (HSS) is a form of tool steel; HSS bits are hard and much more resistant to heat than high-carbon steel. They can be used to drill metal, hardwood, and most other materials at greater cutting speeds than carbon-steel bits, and have largely replaced carbon steels.
- Cobalt steel alloys are variations on high-speed steel that contain more cobalt. They hold their hardness at much higher temperatures and are used to drill stainless steel and other hard materials. The main disadvantage of cobalt steels is that they are more brittle than standard HSS.
- Tungsten carbide and other carbides are extremely hard and can drill virtually all materials, while holding an edge longer than other bits. The material is expensive and much more brittle than steels; consequently they are mainly used for drill-bit tips, small pieces of hard material fixed or brazed onto the tip of a bit made of less hard metal.
Drill Bit Coatings
- Black oxide is an inexpensive black coating. A black oxide coating provides heat resistance and lubricity, as well as corrosion resistance. Coating increases the life of high-speed steel bits.
- Titanium Nitride (TiN) is a very hard ceramic material that can be used to coat a high-speed steel bit (usually a twist bit), extending the cutting life by three or more times. Even after sharpening, the leading edge of coating still provides improved cutting and lifetime.
The following best drill bits use the latest innovative components to meet your needs and help to ensure you do your best work.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Drill Bits.
1. DEWALT DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bits
- 14 Pc Pilot Point Titanium Drill Bit Set
- Featuring heavy-duty titanium pilot points that start on contact and helps to prevent walking, the DEWALT includes commonly used bits for a range of metal and wood-drilling applications.
- No-spin shanks helps to prevent bits from slipping, and a tapered web delivers helps to increased durability to helps to reduce breakage.
- A durable carrying case keeps bits organized and ready to go.:
- Titanium pilot point for 2x longer life versus black oxide.
- Patented pilot point tip starts on contact and eliminates walking.
- Titanium coating for longer life.
2. Irwin Tools 29-Piece Drill Bits
- The Irwin 29-Piece Cobalt M-35 Metal Index Drill Bit Set includes drill bit sizes measuring from 1/16 to 1/2-inch in 1/64 inch increments.
- Made using heavy duty web construction for strength and durability, and the cobalt steel extends the life of cutting edges.
- The 135-degree split point tips start drilling on contact and cut with less force.
- A reduced shank above the 3/8-inch point lets you use larger drill bit in a 3/8-inch chuck, and you can select the right bit using a convenient tap and drill selection chart.
- rubber overmolded case protects against damage from accidental dropping, and you can remove cartridges to easily carry bits from the case to your worksite.
3. VonHaus 100-Piece Drive and Drill Bits
VonHaus 100pc Drill Bit Set
Practical and hard-wearing, this toolkit essential is designed to meet the everyday demands of woodworking, masonry and metalwork projects.
The titanium plated and chrome vanadium steel bits are designed for maximum cutting speeds and clean, precision drilling.
Includes hard wearing storage case with moulded placeholders and clear labeling for easy bit recognition.
Arranged in logical and color-coordinated order, you can find the bit you need at a glance.
Clear viewing window.
easy-clip fastening and ergonomically designed curved handle for easy storage and transportation.
4. BLACK+DECKER BDA91109 Drill Bits
- The BLACK & DECKER BDA91109 109pc Combination Accessory Set contains the ideal sizes of components for frequent use projects and installation.
- Offers a variety of drill bits for the most common uses with wood, metal, plastic and masonry.
- Along with the drill bits, it also contains a variety of 2-Inch and 1-Inch screwdriving bits for household projects.
- Comes with a durable, portable hard case with extra storage.
5. Makita T-01725 Contractor-GradeDrill Bits
- The Makita T-01725 70-Piece Impact Drill-Driver Bit Set offers a full range of solutions for drilling, driving and fastening.
- Each bit is black-oxide coated to resist corrosion, with a proprietary heat treatment engineered for longer bit life. Manufactured with Ultra-Lok 1/4-inch hex shanks.
- Perfect companion for a driver-drill or impact driver.
- Manufactured using high-speed steel with precision 135-degree split-point tips to prevent drill bit walking.
- The pro-grade, maximum magnetic 3-inch bit holder and nut drivers provide extra-strong fastener retention.
6. CO-Z 5-Piece (50 Sizes) Cobalt Step Drill Bits
- CO-Z step drill bits set replaces 50 individual drill bits in 5 pieces step drill bits.
- Two-fluted design provides faster and smoother cutting.
- Cobalt steel along with titanium coating ensures this set with outstanding durability and will stay sharp for years to come,
- Perfect to cut holes on steel, aluminum sheets etc.
- A well-organized box provides users with easy storage and transport.
7. Drill America 29-Piece Drill Bits
- The Drill America DWD29J-CO-PC Qualtech jobber length drill bit set contains 29 cobalt steel drill bits with gold oxide finish in inch sizes 1/16" to 1/2" (1/64" increments).
- A self-centering 135-degree split point penetrates hard material without a pilot hole and produces smaller chips that reduce clogging compared to a 118-degree point.
- Cobalt steel provides extended tool life compared to high-speed steel drill bits, and maintains the tool's toughness and hardness in high drilling temperatures.
- A gold oxide finish acts as a lubricant and provides wear resistance, and the round shank accommodates most drill chucks.
- The set comes in a plastic index case with labeled compartments for identification and organization.
- Drill bits conform to American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards.
8. Bosch 34-Piece Drill Bits
- This set comes with a wide selection of bits – both driver bits and drill bits, and more.
- The bits and accessories included have been chosen to handle many common applications.
- Features driver bits that are built to handle a variety of materials.
- Designed to lessen damage to the screw head.
- Bit tips are designed with better bit-gripping power to keep the bit in the screw.
- Drill bits included in the set work in materials such as wood, metal and masonry.
- Include split points that provide fast, easy starts and reduced bit walking.
- Gives all-in-one convenience to users who want accessories conveniently available for everyday tasks.
9. Drill Hog 29-Piece Cobalt Drill Bits
- Premium Solid Cobalt M42 Super High Speed Steel.
- 1/16" to 1/2" in 1/64th Increments (Does not Skip any Sizes).
- High Heat Treated Hardness 68-70 HRC (Rockwell Hardness Scale).
- 135 Degree Split Point Prevents "Walking".
- Tri-Flat Shank Prevents "Spinning" in Chuck.
10. DEWALT DW1177 20-Piece Drill Bits
- The DEWALT DW1177 20-piece drill bit set contains bits sized from 1/16-inch up to 1/2-inch.
- Black oxide finish for greater wear protection and longevity of the bit.
- Parabolic flute design also gives these bits greater strength.
- 135-degree split-point design that reduces slip and walking and allows for easier no-slip starting.
- The bit set includes a sturdy tough case container to keep bits organized.
- Tough case includes a sliding soft-grip lock that keeps the case closed securely to prevent lost bits.
- Ideal for drilling in metal, wood, and plastics.
I hope this list of the best drill bits was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C