For this post, I have put together a collection of the best scroll saws currently available.
These saws offer a wide variety of options when cutting wood, plastics or laminates and allows for extremely fine, precise control.
The following scroll saws use the latest innovative components to meet your needs and help to ensure you do your best work.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Scroll Saws.
1. DEWALT DW788 Scroll Saw
The DEWALT DW788 20" Variable-Speed Scroll Saw operates quietly and smoothly for accuracy. Convenient placement on the liftable arm of the dust blower, power switch, and saw adjustments on the front of the upper arm provide for easy adjustment.
- Oversized, cast-iron table provides excellent material support and has the ability to bevel to both the left and right.
- Double parallel-link arm design dramatically reduces vibration and noise for extremely accurate cuts.
- On-off switch, electronic variable speed, flexible dust blower, and blade-tensioning lever are all located on the front upper arm.
- Arm lifts so that blade can be easily threaded through the material for inside cuts.
- Arm design keeps the blade perpendicular to the work, dramatically reducing over or under cutting.
- Oversized, cast-iron table provides excellent material support and bevels 45 degrees (left and right).
- The tool-free blade clamp allows for quick and easy blade changes.
2. WEN 3920 Scroll Saw
Take on the most intricate and artful cuts with the WEN 16-Inch Variable Speed Two-Direction Scroll Saw.
- 9/16-inch stroke saws through hard woods up to two inches thick.
- Adjust the speed anywhere from 550 to 1600 strokes per minute with the simple turn of a knob.
- Cast iron base prevents vibration and walking during operation while the spacious 16-by-11-inch table bevels up to 45 degrees for angled cut.
- Adjustable air pump clears saw dust from your work area to give you a clear line of vision as you cut.
- Includes a hold-down foot clamp for securing your project in place.
- Flexible work light that bends and adjusts to whatever position your heart desires.
- Unique blade holder accepts both pinned and pinless blades while also allowing users to change the direction of their cut to accommodate their particular workpiece.
3. Dremel MS20-01 Scroll Saw
The Dremel Moto-Saw is a multi-functional scroll saw and coping saw in one. It offers a compact and easy solution for making detailed cuts in a variety of materials, including wood, plastic, laminates and metal.
- Portable, precision saw is easy to store, set-up, and operate and features a tool-free mechanism for quick blade changes.
- Auto-tensioning feature keeps the blade taut and ready to cut so you don’t have to make blade adjustments, and its slim, ergonomic handle with comfort grip provides control in any cutting position.
- Functions as a stationary scroll saw, yet it can be removed from its base to become a portable electric coping saw.
- Detachable coping function for handheld use to take the tool to the work piece.
- Auto tensioning quick change mechanism for easy accessory change and optimal blade tensioning.
- Variable speed control for optimal cutting in a variety of materials.
- Fast clamp base attaches to various tables, benches and surfaces.
Don't forget the blades.
4. Shop Fox W1713 Scroll Saw
The Shop Fox Scroll Saw also offers a gooseneck work light, dust blower and dust port, large 45° tilt table and easy blade changes.
- Cut at angles from 0-45-degrees with the table tilt mechanism.
- Table lock knob and tilt scale are used to tilt the table for horizontal angle cuts.
- Connect the 1-1⁄4 inch dust port of your scroll saw to a shop vacuum to keep the wood debris from accumulating underneath the table insert.
- Accepts standard plain or pin-end saw blades and is designed to make blade changes easy with the included adapters.
- Adjustable hold-down shoe prevents the workpiece from rising up with the force of the moving blade.
- Air nozzle blows air at the cutting location to keep wood debris away from the line of the cut.
5. Hegner 18" Variable Speed Scroll Saw
The HEGNER 18" Variable Speed saw is compact, quiet, precise and versatile, lets you cut almost any material and make a wide variety of projects.
- Make on-the-spot turns whenever you wish, set up inside cuts easily, and produce smooth sawn edges without sanding.
- Patented blade clamp design.
- Quick and easy blade installation.
- Low stress on blades for longer life.
- Smooth and quiet operation with precise blade guidance for maximum control and accuracy.
- Emergency upper arm stoppage for extra safety.
- Space-saving configuration with ergonomic user features.
- Unique blade frame geometry that not only maximizes performance, but creates a unique sawing "feel".
6. General International Excalibur Scroll Saw
The Excalibur 21" variable speed scroll saw Kit has a unique design that provides a stable platform when cutting straight or on an angle.
- Entire head tilts 45 deg to the left or the right.
- Allows the user to better control the work piece on a flat table surface, for more safe and accurate cuts.
- Convenient foot switch and adjusting height metal stand.
- Upper and lower parallel arms keep the blade straight with minimal blade deflection allowing for precise cuts.
7. Delta Power Tools 40-694 Scroll Saw
The Delta Power Tools 40-694 20 inch variable speed scroll saw is designed for quality and precision. The unique dual parallel-link arm design reduces vibration and noise and keeps the blade perpendicular to the work surface which dramatically reduces over or under cutting, improving accuracy and quality.
- Single lever, tool-free blade tensioning allows for quickly adjusting the blade to the proper tension which maximizes blade life and accuracy.
- Large, cast-iron table provides excellent material support and bevels 0° - 45° left and right.
- Electronic variable speed can be adjusted from 400-1,750 SPM for a wide array of cutting applications.
- Upper arm lifts and locks in the raised position during blade changes or while adjusting blade position for fret work.
- On/Off switch, electronic variable speed dial, flexible dust blower and blade-tensioning lever are all conveniently located up front on the arm for easy accessibility.
- Tool-free blade clamp allows for quick, easy blade changes in seconds.
8. Rockwell ShopSeries RK7315 Scroll Saw
The ShopSeries 16" Scroll Saw is equipped with a 1.2-amp motor, making it ideal for powering through a variety of woodworking jobs such as making intricate cuts, curves, and joints.
- Variable speed control and a 3/4" stroke ensure clean accurate cuts, while the die-cast aluminum table bevels from 0 to 45 degrees to ensure precision and accuracy.
- Throat depth of 16" providing a cutting capacity of 2" at 90 degrees and 1-3/16" at 45 degrees.
- Equipped with a built-in blower to keep dust from blocking the view of the work and a dust collection port to keep the work area clean.
- Blade guard provides enhanced operator safety.
9. PORTER-CABLE 18" Variable Speed Scroll Saw
The PORTER-CABLE PCB375SS features a broad 12-5/8" x 20" aluminum dual tilting table, enabling 45 degrees left and 15 degrees right bevel cuts for a range of accurate cut angles visible on a scale conveniently and securely situated in the tabletop.
- Upfront tool-less blade holder and a cam action blade tension adjustment allow woodworkers to quickly and easily change and regulate pin or plain blades.
- Includes an upfront on/off switch that simplifies speed control changes between 500-1,500 SPM.
Die cast aluminum frame, and a large cast iron base that reduces vibration.
- Cutting heights ranging from 2-1/4" (45 degrees right) and 1-1/4" (45 degrees left) to 2-1/4" (maximum cutting height).
- Includes blade storage and a study steel stand.
10. Rockwell BladeRunner X2 Scroll Saw
The all new Rockwell RK7323 BladeRunner X2 is the Ultimate Cutting Machine. This versatile and convenient saw that sets up in seconds to cut wood, ceramic tile, plastic, metal and aluminum.
- Hold-down guard and splitter that cuts wider material and a larger rip fence for better control.
- Uses standard t-shank jigsaw blades with instant, tool-free blade changes which allows you to go from cutting one material to another quickly and easily.
- Traditional guard and splitter system allows for unlimited capacity for cross and rip cuts.
- Easy to carry anywhere with its lightweight and compact design and built-in carry handle.
- Included accessories: a miter gauge, rip fence, general purpose blade for wood, scroll cutting blade for wood, a tile blade for ceramic tile, a metal cutting blade and an aluminum cutting blade.
- Built-in vacuum port that makes clean-up easy and a blade-holding compartment to keep your blades with the tool.
I hope this list of the best scroll saws was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C