The 10 Best Random Orbital Sanders
For this post, I have put together a collection of the best random orbital sanders currently available.
Random orbit sanders are hand-held power tools for sanding in which the sanding blade delivers a random-orbit action. That is, the angle of rotation of the head and disk is variable.
The random orbit sanding pattern is produced by simultaneously spinning the sanding disk and moving it in small ellipses. This ensures that no single part of the abrasive material travels the same path twice during the same rotation. Because of this random sanding action, the tool does not leave swirl marks, and is not sensitive to the direction of the wood grain.This makes it useful when sanding two pieces of wood that will be fastened at right angles.
Random orbital sanders use sandpaper disks, and many include integrated dust collectors. Disks are attached using either pressure-sensitive adhesives or a hook and loop system. On models equipped with a dust collection feature, a vacuum sucks discharged dust through holes in the paper and pad, feeding it to a bag, shop vac, or canister.
The following random orbital sanders use the latest innovative components to meet your needs and help to ensure you do your best work.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Random Orbital Sanders.
1. Bosch ROS65VC-6 6" Random Orbital Sander
The Bosch ROS65VC-6 Random Orbit Sander/Polisher is a powerful tool for stock removal and allows for great user control.
- Features an integral pad-dampening braking system to diminish swirl marks.
- Vibration Control suspension system for outstanding user comfort.
- Variable-speed capabilities and accepts 5-In. or 6-In. sanding pads.
- Provides a microcellular hook-and-loop backing pad. It offers dual dust-collection systems, a microfilter dust canister.
- Integrated paper filter and a hose adapter for connection to a vacuum cleaner hose.
Comfort and a Soft Grip
- The ROS65VC-6 has Bosch's Vibration Control suspension system, which minimizes the amount of vibration that reaches users' hands.
- The operator can use the tool with more comfort and for longer time.
- With an ergonomic soft-grip design, this a rear-handle sander has numerous gripping areas, allowing users to place their hands to one more areas to avoid hand fatigue.
- The front handle is easily removable for close quarters.
Reduced Swirl Marks
- The tool's integral pad-dampening braking system, was designed to reduce swirl marks.
- The microcellular backing pad ensures a smooth, fine finish on both flat and contoured surfaces.
- The random orbit sander/polisher also comes equipped with Bosch’s signature HookTight hook-and-loop disc attachment.
- Over 35,000 long-life hooks on this attachment help to secure firm grip of the disc, and it accepts Bosch 5-In. and 6-In. high-performance sanding pads.
- The Bosch sander offers two dust-collection systems. It comes with a microfilter dust canister with integrated paper filter and screw-off cap, as well as connectivity to most vacuum hoses.
- The on board filter traps dust particles as small as 1/2 micron in diameter.
- The vacuum hose connection has airflow control and connects to most vacuum hoses, including Bosch hoses and 1-1/4-In. and 1-1/2-In. hoses.
Variable-Speed for Control
- The Bosch ROS65VC-6 features a tough 3.3-amp motor with variable-speed control, to match the speed to the task and workpiece.
- The random orbit sander's speed is adjustable from between 5,500 and 12,000 opm, with a single speed of 12,000 opm, so operators can dial up or down.
- The sander/polisher features die-cast aluminum gear housing but weighs in at only 5.3 lbs., so it's lightweight and easy to use.
2. Makita BO5041K 5" Random Orbital Sander
Makita's 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander with variable speed, Model BO5041K, combines power, speed and performance with better grip and control, including an innovative adjustable front handle.
- The BO5041K features a Makita-built 3 AMP motor with oversized sealed ball bearing construction for longer tool life.
- The variable speed control dial (4,000 - 12,000 OPM) allows the user to match the sanding speed to the material, with a large two-finger trigger switch with conveniently located lock-on button for continuous use and increased operator comfort.
- The large 1/8-inch random orbit action delivers fast and smooth sanding and a swirl-free finish, with a pad control system for controlled pad speed upon start-up.
- Additional comfort and ease-of-use features include a new adjustable front handle to allow for sanding in corners and confined areas, as well as ergonomic rubberized handles for improved operator comfort and control.
- Uses quick-change five-inch eight-hole hook-and-loop abrasive disc, and has an efficient through-the-pad dust collection system that helps provide a cleaner work environment.
- The high-capacity dust collection system with built-in vacuum port adapter is engineered for improved dust collection. The rubberized palm grip and top handle fit like a glove with even pressure and easy control.
- Includes abrasive disc, dust bag and tool case.
- The BO5041K is just another example of Makita's commitment to innovative technology and best-in-class engineering.
3. DEWALT DWE6423K 5" Random Orbital Sander
The DEWALT DWE6324K 5" Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander features a 3.0 Amp motor that spins the pad at 8,000 - 12,000 OPM.
- Shorter height allows the user to get closer to work piece for sanding.
- Rubber over-mold in all of the critical areas of the sander to reduce user fatigue.
- Separate counterweight design reduces vibration for improved comfort
- Improved dust-sealed switch to protect against dust ingestion for longer switch life.
- Improved dust collection that interfaces with our vacuum locking system.
- The dust bag has one-hand locking system - and the port is designed to fit directly to DWV010 or DWV012 dust collectors.
- To attach dust port to other vacs with 1 1/4" hoses use WV9000 universal quick connector.
Don't forget the sandpaper.
4. Bosch 6" Random Orbital Sander
The 1250DEVS features two distinct sanding modes, an extremely aggressive turbo driven, eccentric orbit sanding mode for very aggressive sanding, as well as a conventional random orbit sanding mode for normal stock removal and fine finishing.
- Soft microcellular backing pad has the pliability necessary to ensure a smooth, fine finish on flat or contoured surfaces.
- Rugged die-cast aluminum gear housing with exclusive dual-bearing pad mount for long-life and minimization of wobble and vibration.
- Mode selector lever allows quick change between random orbit mode and aggressive turbo mode.
- Integral pad dampening system provides braking of the pad spin to prevent swirl marks when removing sander from workpiece.
- The desired speed is set using a speed dial and Constant Response circuitry maintains the desired speed under load.
- Soft pads deliver finer, smoother, flatter surface finishes, due to their ability to conform to the surface of the work piece and due to the elastic support of the pads’ plastic inlays.
- Compact 7.7 In.-diameter circumference barrel, and standard-equipment auxiliary handle.
- Features a passive dust collection system, which maximizes its efficiency when used with a vacuum-based dust collection system.
- Large channels in the pads allow debris to be easily pulled through vacuum port.
- The dust port is sized for the optional Bosch vac hoses, and an adapter is included for attachment to 1-1/4 In. and 1-1/2 In. hoses.
5. Makita XOB01Z Cordless 5" Random Orbital Sander
The 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 5" Random Orbit Sander delivers increased efficiency and mobility to woodworkers.
- The XOB01Z features three speed settings, superior ergonomics and up to 40 minutes of run time on a single charge.
- Match the speed to the application with three speed settings (7,000/9,500/11,000 OPM), which are easily changed with a one-touch electronic control switch.
- The large 1/8" random orbit action is engineered for efficient sanding, fast material removal, and a swirl-free finish.
- The pad brake reduces free-spin for improved overall finish, and a control system regulates pad speed at start-up.
- The XOB01Z uses quick-change 5" (8-hole) hook-and-loop abrasive paper for increased versatility.
- This is the tool only (battery and charger not included):
6. BLACK+DECKER BDERO600 Random Orbital Sander
The BLACK+DECKER BDERO600 2.4 amp 5-inch random orbit sander features is the shortest sander in its class,
- Brings DIYers close to the work surface, which affords premium maneuverability around their projects.
- This sander provides fast, efficient material removal with 2.4 amps of power generating 14,000 orbits per minute.
- A paddle switch allows for easy on/off during application.
- Located at the top of the sander, the switch is activated by pressing down naturally with the palm of the hand as if the sander is in use.
- Can then be locked in either the on or off position for convenient, one-handed use.
- High-performance dust collection provides a clean work surface.
- Compact size and ergonomic design, this tool
- Can get into tight spaces easily and maximize user control.
7. Bosch ROS20VSK 5" Random Orbital Sander
The Bosch ROS20VSK 5-inch Random Orbit Sander/Polisher delivers thorough results, so woodworkers, carpenters and furniture refinishers get the precision they demand.
- The tool conveys an outstanding combination of pad orbit and rotation for fast removal and an ultra-smooth finish.
- Built with an integral pad dampening braking system to diminish swirl marks, this sander is a variable-speed model to match the speed to the task.
- It includes a built-in microfilter system that traps particles as small as 1/2 micron in diameter.
- Variable speed dial, twist off dust canister shows dust level and easily detaches,
- Micro filter system for filtering fine dust.
- Hook-tight hook-&-loop disc attachment with over 35,000 long-life hooks ensure firm grip of disc.
- Combination of pad orbit and rotation delivers well blended, ultra-smooth finish.
- Microcellular backing pad for a smooth, fine finish on flat or contoured surfaces.
- Integral pad dampening system prevents swirl marks,
- Soft palm grip top and body, low vibration.
- Anti spillback dust canister, uses industry-standard 8-hole 5" hook-&-loop discs.
8. Makita BO6030 6" Random Orbital Sander
The variable speed control dial (4,000 - 10,000 rpm) on this random orbit sander lets you adjust the speed for a variety of material.
- 2-handle design ensures controlled operation, and the front handle detaches for use in confined areas.
- The ergonomic rubberized rear handle reduces vibration and eases operator fatigue.
- This machine weighs a comfortable 5.1 pounds and is double insulated.
- The 1/8" orbit diameter provides a swirl-free finish to any project and the through-the-pad dust collection system keeps your work area cleaner.
- Features a conveniently located lock-on button for comfortable long-term use.
- Uses 6" hook-and-loop abrasive sanding discs and accessories.
9. SKIL 7492-02 5" Random Orbital Sander
Whether you're tackling a large home improvement project or putting the finishing touch on a workshop hobby, this SKIL 7492-02 5 in. Random Orbit Sander is the perfect tool for faster stock removal with smooth results.
- The pressure control indicator lets you know when the right amount of pressure is applied and warns you when there's too much.
- Random orbital action ensures a swirl-free finish while the pad brake eliminates gouging.
- Micro-filtration captures and contains fine dust particles to keep your work surface cleaner.
- A sealed switch keeps dust out of the tool for a long life.
- The dust canister is clear, removing the guess work of figuring out when to empty it.
10. BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbital Sander
The BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 5-inch random orbit sander provides fast, efficient material removal. Compact, ergonomic, and versatile, this sander is a great addition for the DIY homeowner.
- Features random orbital action for a high removal rate and a high-quality finish.
- Hook and loop system allows users to make fast and easy paper changes.
- Dust sealed switch to keep all dust and debris out, to extend tool life.
I hope this list of the best random orbital sanders] was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C