For this post, I have put together a collection of the best bench grinders currently available.
A bench grinder is a benchtop type of grinding machine used to drive abrasive wheels. These types of grinders are commonly used to hand grind various cutting tools and perform other rough grinding.
Depending on the bond and grade of the grinding wheel, it may be used for sharpening cutting tools such as tool bits, drill bits, chisels, and gouges. Alternatively, it may be used to roughly shape metal prior to welding or fitting. A wire brush wheel or buffing wheels can be interchanged with the grinding wheels in order to clean or polish workpieces. Stiff buffing wheels can also be used when deburring is the task at hand.
The typical wheels on most bench grinders are vitreous-bond wheels. They work best to do their intended task, but they inherently have a risk of cracking. Grinding wheels designed for steel are not to be used for grinding softer metals, like aluminium. The soft metal gets lodged in the pores of the wheel and later expands with the heat of grinding. This can dislodge pieces of the grinding wheel, causing injury.
Wheels come with maximum RPM ratings printed on the label. The grinder's RPM must be equal or lower; "the maximum operating speeds indicated on the wheel's tag must never be exceeded". Greatly over-speeding a grinding wheel could cause it to explode.
The following bench grinders use the latest innovative components to meet your needs and help to ensure you do your best work.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Bench Grinders.
1. Jet 577102 JBG-8A 8" Bench Grinder
Perfect for cleaning, sharpening, buffing, removing rust, or removing burs from metal, the Jet 577102 JBG-8A bench grinder comes with industrial grade 36-grit and 60-grit 8-inch wheels for maximum versatility.
- 1-horsepower, 115-volt motor operates at 3,450 rpm and delivers plenty of power for heavy grinding.
- Sits on a rubber foot to prevent unwanted movement and can be bolted down if desired for maximum stability.
- Includes a heavy-duty guarded toggle switch.
- Features totally enclosed pre-lubricated ball bearings, cast-iron wheel guards and dust vents, one-piece quick adjusting spark guards, and large eye shields with quick adjustment for maximum safety.
- 1 HP, single phase 115 Volt motor turns at 3450 RPM.
- Includes 2 vitrified grinding wheels, one coarse and one fine.
- Wheels are 8in. diameter x 1in. wide with 5/8in. arbor.
- Cast iron wheelguards have ports for dust collector.
- Easy-adjusting spark guards and eye shields; guarded switch.
2. DEWALT DW758 8" Bench Grinder
The heavy duty DEWALT DW758 8-inch bench grinder is ideal for all grinding operations, including sharpening tools, deburring, rust removal, shaping parts and cleaning objects.
- Powered by a 3/4 horsepower induction motor that runs at 3,600 RPM for easy and reliable high speed material removal.
- Complemented by an industrial cast iron base and motor housing for added durability and prolonged life.
- 12-1/2-inch distance between wheels for longer and larger grinding applications.
- Precision-machined adjustable aluminum tool rests allow the user to accurately position work.
- Rear exhaust ports in the wheel guards provide smooth operation.
- 16 inches long and weighs 39.5 pounds.
3. Metabo DS 200 8" Bench Grinder
- Low-noise and low-vibration, maintenance-free induction motor.
- Motor for single phase alternating current.
- Robust die-cast aluminium protective covers.
- Protective cover bayonet lock for quick and simple wheel change.
- Dust-protected emergency stop switch.
- Restart protection: prevents unintentional start-up after power supply interruption.
- Workpiece support adjustable without tools.
- Large spark protection guards for eye protection.
- Vibration-dampening rubber feet for safe support.
4. Porter-Cable PCB575BG 8" Bench Grinder
- The PCB575BG includes a powerful 5.0 Amp induction motor that delivers variable speeds between 2,000 and 3,400 RPM.
- Allows users to choose the appropriate speed in order to increase productivity when grinding, shaping and sharpening.
- Built-in adjustable work lamp.
- Sturdy cast iron base to reduce vibration during operation.
- Adjustable aluminum tool rests with a groove for easy drill bit sharpening.
- Removable quench water tray.
- Detatchable wheel dresser for cleaning and reshaping the grinding wheel between uses.
5. RIKON Power Tools 80-805 8" Bench Grinder
- 8" Slow Speed Bench Grinder. Powerful 1/2 hp Motor with 1750 RPM.
- Ideal for sharpening operations because it reduces heat build-up.
- Includes 1" x 8" 60 grit and 120 Grit white aluminum oxide wheels.
- Built with sturdy cast iron base featuring anti-vibration rubber feet.
- Adjustable safety eye shield and spark resisters.
- Left tool rest includes a groove in its design for sharpening of drill bits.
- Wheel flanges are stamped.
- Grinder includes a diamond wheel sharpener.
6. ATD Tools 10558 8" Bench Grinder
- Heavy-duty 3/4 HP ball bearing motor.
- No Load Speed: 3,450 RPM.
- Adjustable shatter resistant eye shields both magnifying and standard.
- Metal tool rests and spark guards.
- Base has pre-cast holes for mounting to stand or work bench.
- Large flexible work light for increased visibility.
- Two grinding wheels both medium and coarse grit.
- Dust proof switch
- Cooling tray.
- 4.8 Amps.
- Wheel Size: 8" Diameter, 1" Face, 5/8" Bore.
7. Sunex 5002A 8" Bench Grinder
- Two 8 grit wheels:
- Coarse 36
- Medium 60
- Each wheel has protective spark guard and adjustable eye shield
- Mounting holes and rubber feet make grinder easy to mount on a stand (optional - part 5003 or 5005) or use on an approved worktable or workbench.
- Conveniently placed, easy to use on/off switch.
- Long 6-foot power cord.
- Cast iron base for durability.
- Bright, flexible work light.
- Ball bearing construction for smooth operation.
- 5/8 Arbor accepts standard 8 wheel UL & CSA Listed
- Includes eye shields and tool rests.
- Power: 3/4 HP Motor .
- No load speed: 3450 RPM Motor.
- 5 Amp Voltage: 115V/60Hz.
8. SKIL 3380-01 6" Bench Grinder
- Features a 2.1-amp motor
- Includes both medium and coarse wheels.
- Convenient LED work light and a tool rest for each wheel for grinding accuracy.
- Tool rests for each wheel are included for accurate grinding.
- Eye shields for increased safety and a solid cast-iron base
- Rubber feet that mounts easily to a benchtop for increased stability.
9. WEN 4276 6" Bench Grinder
- The WEN 6-inch Bench Grinder is the ideal companion for any workshop.
- Allows for simple resuscitation of dull blades, scissors, screwdrivers, and more.
- Includes two 6-inch by 3/4-inch wheels:
- 60-grit wheel for material removal and general purpose grinding.
- Coarse 36-grit wheel for faster material removal.
- Quiet 2.1 amp motor, expect quick startups, smooth performance and steady speeds of 3450 RPM.
- Fast speed is ideal for deburring unwanted edges and rust removal.
- Simple wheel guard removal for easy wheel changes.
- Included eye guards can adjust to prevent them from interfering with your project.
- Flexible work light to illuminate your grinding for increased accuracy and precision.
10. Grizzly G9717 6" Bench Grinder
- 1/3 HP 110v single-phase industrial-duty bench grinder turns at 3450 RPM.
- Takes 6-Inch grinding wheels from 1/2-Inch to 3/4-Inch wide with 1/2-Inch bores.
- Adjustable tool rests and eye shields make tool sharpening simple.
- Fast starting and cool running for all day use.
I hope this list of the best bench grinders was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C