The 10 Best Tap And Die Sets
For this post, I have put together a collection of the best tap and die sets currently available.
Taps and dies are tools used to create screw threads, which is called threading. Many are cutting tools; others are forming tools. A tap is used to cut or form the female portion of the mating pair (e.g. a nut). A die is used to cut or form the male portion of the mating pair (e.g. a bolt). The process of cutting or forming threads using a tap is called tapping, whereas the process using a die is called threading.
Both tools can be used to clean up a thread, which is called chasing. However, using an ordinary tap or die to clean threads will generally result in the removal of some material, which will result in looser and weaker threads. Because of this, threads are typically cleaned using special taps and dies made for this purpose, which are known as chasers.
Chasers are made of softer materials and are not capable of cutting new threads, however they are still tighter fitting than actual fasteners and are fluted like regular taps and dies (to provide a means for debris like dirt and rust to escape). One particularly common use is for automotive spark plug threads, which often suffer from corrosion and a buildup of carbon.
The following tap and die sets use the latest innovative components to meet your needs and help to ensure you do your best work.
So here is my list of The 10 Best Tap And Die Sets.
1. GearWrench 75 Piece 3887 Tap And Die Set
The 75-piece GearWrench Tap and Die set (model 3887) is ideal for use in tight, confined areas, and the patented Twist Lock Guide System reduces backwalk of die guide and keeps dies centered while cutting threads.
- Ratcheting T-wrench provides a 5-degree ratcheting arc.
- Reversible lever allows for quick changes from forward to revers to eliminate hand-over-hand turning.
- Patented Twist Lock Guide System reduces backwalk of die guide.
- Auto locking feature allows for safe removal of tap adapter.
- Reversible lever eliminates hand over hand turning.
- Carbon steel construction.
2. Irwin Tools 117 Piece 26377 Tap And Die Set
- The IRWIN HANSON Machine Screw/Fractional/Metric Tap and Hex Die and Drill Bit Deluxe Set contains almost every tap, hex die, and drill bit a craftsman may need for maintenance and auto repair work.
- Massive set features tools perfectly crafted for hand-threading a variety of materials.
- Crafted of high carbon steel to provide professional accuracy.
- Also contains a set of high speed steel drill bits for pairing with the included taps.
3. Neiko 00916A TitaniumTap And Die Set
- Effortlessly cut new material or repair damaged threads, saving time purchasing new threads.
- Titanium cutting edges hold sharpness up to 20x longer than steel, making it perfect for any small or large projects.
- Equipped in a heavy duty molded case for easy identification, storage and portability for all on the go jobs.
- Professional grade steel construction is highly durable and built to last for multiple uses.
- Complete set includes T-handle tap wrenches, adjustable die wrench and T-Handle tap wrench, screwdriver and thread pitch gauge.
4. GearWrench 114 Piece 82812 Tap And Die Set
- 114-piece GearWrench Tap and Die set is ideal for use in tight, confined areas, and the patented Twist Lock Guide System reduces backwalk of die guide and keeps dies centered while cutting threads.
- Extension adapters provide access in tight confined areas.
- Complete set of ratcheting T-handle system of tap and die tools.
- Length of tap and die system can be extended by combining adapters and any 3/8 drive extension.
- Tap holders tilt down for easy access keeping taps secure and organized ,
- Works with round and hex shaped dies , includes 4-40 to 3/4 and 3 to 18mm sizes.
- Reversible lever eliminates hand over hand turning
5. ABN 60 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Comprehensive set for cutting and renewing external and internal threads to exacting standards.
- Each tap and die is constructed from hardened alloy steel for maximum strength so they can easily cut materials such as cast iron, steel, aluminum, copper, and more.
- This 60-piece set is neatly contained inside a heavy-duty plastic blow-molded case for your convenience.
- Coarse and fine threaded and numbered taps and dies from #4 - 40 to #12 – 24.
- Fractional taps and dies from 1/4" - 28 to 1/2" - 20, 1/8" - 27 NPT tap and die.
- Metric tap and dies from M3 x .5 to M12 x 1.75.
6. OrangeA 86 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Precision ground and polished surfaces to facilitate chip removal
- Tapered plug taps and dies are the most commonly used style and are perfect for most hand threading applications.
- Start easily, either cutting new material or chasing lightly damaged threads.
- Precision machined to exacting standards.
- Heavy duty heat-treated tungsten steel construction.
7. Neiko 00908A 76 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Professional-grade quality, these pieces are forged with a base of special alloy steel that produces incredible strength without brittleness.
- Titanium-brazed coating ensures sharpness lasts up to twenty times longer than steel.
- Set includes the 20 most commonly-used tap-and-die Metric sizes.
- T-handle tap wrench.
- Die adapter and set screw driver.
- Die-stock handle wrench.
- Adjustable tap handle wrench.
- Die size-adapter and screwdriver.
8. EFFICERE 40 Piece Tap And Die Set
- EFFICERE 40-Piece Premium Metric Tap and Die Set is the perfect choice for your hand threading jobs at home, garage and shop.
- Can be used to either cut new threads or chase existing threads.
- Made from highly durable GCr15 bearing steel, and cuts through a wide range of metal pipes and rods including carbon steel, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, brass, copper and much more.
- Cutting teeth are professionally CNC machined and heat treated to Rockwell hardness 60 HRC for providing aggressive, clean and precise threading results.
- Taps and dies also feature a tapered design, allowing an easier start and preventing over threading.
9. TEKTON 7560 45 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Made of tungsten alloy high speed steel, the TEKTON 45-pc.
- Features 20 taps and 20 dies in a full range of coarse and fine sizes from 1/4 in. to 1 in.
- Tapered plug taps and dies are the most commonly used style and are appropriate for most hand threading applications.
- Using proper technique and the right lubricant, these taps and dies will cut mild carbon and alloy steel, stainless steel, cast iron, aluminum, brass and bronze.
10. Bosch B44718 40 Piece Tap And Die Set
- Bosch black oxide taps and dies offer superior durability and speed for most general-purpose applications.
- Laser-etched marking ensures size identification and won't wear off.
- Ideal for cutting thread holes into metal and work equally well in plastic drilling applications.
- Cut and renew internal threads to exacting specifications.
- Use with aluminum, mild steel, and stainless steel.
I hope this list of the best tap and die sets was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Brandon Hubbard, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C